Artist Support Grants
October 4, 2020
Artists in all disciplines are eligible to apply for grants to support their professional and artistic development through a partnership of the North Carolina Arts Council and Arts Davidson County, Davie County Arts Council, The Arts Council of Winston-Salem & Forsyth County, Randolph Arts Guild, and ArtsGreensboro.Grants will range in awards from $500 to $2,000. Artist Support Grants will be distributed to eligible applicants by ArtsGreensboro in the following counties: Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, and Randolph.
Application Deadline: Sunday, October 4, 2020 11:59pm
Artists must have lived in the region where they are applying continuously for at least one year prior to the application deadline. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien. Proof of residency and status may be required. Artists who live in more than one region should apply only where they spend the majority of the year.
Small, unincorporated groups of collaborating artists are eligible to apply. All members of a collaborating team must be North Carolina residents, live in the region where they are applying, and meet the other eligibility requirements. Résumés documenting residence from all team members should be included with the application
- The grant is open to resident N.C. artists in all disciplines, from traditional to contemporary and established to emerging.
- The grant can be used to support a range of professional and artistic development;
- Creation of new work;
- Improvement of business operations;
- Marketing/expanding capacity to reach new audiences;
- Artist fees.
- Artists who are sole proprietors of organizations that have already received funding for FY20-21 from the N.C. Arts Council are ineligible to apply.
- Current board and staff members of the participating partner organizations and their family members are not eligible to apply for the award.
ASG vs. RAPG
- Reorganization and expansion of regions to ensure more equitable disbursement of funds
- Required outreach to engage diverse and non-traditional artists
- Increased involvement of N.C. Arts Council:
- Expansion of marketing support including statewide coordination of grant promotion
- Expansion of training and online tools & resources for partners
- Observations of panel process
- Profiles of grant awardees on N.C. Arts Council website.
Grant Changes Specific to 2020-2021
- Regional partners do not have to match N.C. Arts Council investment in FY 2020-2021
- Up to 50 percent of grant award can be applied towards artist fees
Funding GuidelinesEmerging or established artists are encouraged to apply to support a range of professional and artistic development including the creation of work, improvement of business operations, or expanding capacity to bring work to new audiences. Artist fees are also allowable expenses. Artists in all disciplines are eligible to apply.
What the Grant Will Fund
• Training – Costs to attend a class or workshop (in-person or virtual) aimed at either enhancing the artists’ skill level or professional development (e.g., a master class or workshop taught by acknowledged authorities in their medium.)
•Travel – Costs of transportation, lodging, and food for training, professional conferences, or research as allowed or possible with adhering to social distancing guidelines.
•Up to 50% of grant amount may be used towards artist fees in FY 2020-2021.
What the Grant Will Not Fund
•Scholarships for undergraduate- or graduate-level education.
•Projects that support or oppose a particular candidate for public office.
•Projects that are exclusive to members of a particular religious faith group.
•Projects that do not have a direct effect on the applicant’s growth as an artist (e.g. the promotion of other artists’ work).
Sign up for an info session Zoom call to get your questions answered.
See dates and times below.
Wednesday, August 12, 12-1PM (view recorded video here)
Tuesday, August 18th, 5-6PM (Access PowerPoint presentation here)
You may also contact Darlene McClinton directly at (336) 279-7086
or click below to send an email.