Issue Date: December 14, 2020
Budget: $15,000 (includes artist fee, materials, installation)Deadline for Applications (Letter of Interest): January 31, 2021 (5:00 PM EST)
Introduction to Outpatient Women’s Services
Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services offers exceptional, comprehensive, and convenient care for women of all ages and stages of life. To truly be for all women, we must create a space that speaks to women regardless of their stage of life, status, background, or health condition. We believe that art is an integral part of making this space welcoming for all women and can bring the female experience to life. This signature piece will help us achieve this goal.
Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services will soon have a home on Maple Street in the new women’s services building. This facility will fulfill our dream to create a place for all women.
Project Summary and Goals:
Our goal is to have a signature art piece representative of women across our community and be the signature piece in our newly created women’s services building. It will be the central focal point in the main lobby space.
We are looking for a creative 2-dimensional (preferred) or 3-dimensional piece that reflects our collective voices of what women experience: Friendship, Fear, Hope, Love, Loss, and Vulnerability. We want the artwork to connect with our patients and their experiences of loss (miscarriages), types of pregnancy, different races of babies, diverse populations, special needs children, and different types of families.
Goals of the project include:
- To activate the lobby of the Outpatient women’s services building with an artwork.
- To connect art and wellness in an engaging and meaningful way.
- To reflect the Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services mission and exemplify it in creative and innovative ways.
- To provide an opportunity for community engagement and ownership with the patrons of the outpatient women’s services building – both young and old.
- Create a visually stunning work of art that inspires wonder and compassion.
Through conversations with community members, patients, staff, and the care team, the artwork’s following themes were discovered as critical components to this signature piece.
- Colors that are calming
- Helping patients feel comfortable
- Create a sense of belonging
- Soothing features (ex. water)
- Images of ALL women (pregnant, not pregnant, old, young, etc.)
- Engaging local NC WOMEN artists
Art Placement + Dimensions
The artwork will be the focal point in the main lobby of the women’s outpatient services building, welcoming each visitor into the space. The blank wall space that is usable for artwork is 16’ 7 ¼” by a height of 6’.
(More information about wall construction: The width of the wall is 16’ 7 ¼” by a height of 10’. The knee wall will be dead center of that wall so 8’ 4 ½” from either side to the center of the knee wall. The knee wall will extend to 4 ‘ high, leaving 6’ of blank wall above the knee wall. The knee wall was added due to social distancing requirements. There will be chairs on both sides of the knee wall.)
Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services, Built with Intentionality:
For patients like the mother described above, the center that is designed specifically with women’s care in mind will transform her experience by:
- Being located near other community services and directly on the Greensboro bus line;
- Collocating multiple services to ensure convenient care delivery;
- Offering programs outside of traditional care that addresses social determinants of health and positively impact birth outcomes, and by
- Creating a women’s centric environment that is welcoming for all.
Total Project Budget:
The total project budget directed to the selected artist will be $15,000. A contract for conceptual design development, community engagement, final design completion, engineering, fabrication, equipment rental, permits, insurance, storage, installation, materials, travel and accommodations, and any other costs incurred by the artist will be implemented for a work of public art to be displayed in the lobby of the Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services building.
Selection Process and Schedule:
The selection process will be initiated through a Letter of Interest (LOI) process. A panel with Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services representatives, the Public Art Endowment, and ArtsGreensboro will review the LOI and select three artists to complete a full application.
Letter of Intent Requirements
- Personal and demographic information
- Artistic credentials
- CV with a listing of public art and collections
- Artist Statement
- Selection of relevant work samples
- Statement of interest
- How does your work respond to Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services’ goals
- How do you see your work reflecting the collective voices of women’s experience: Friendship, Fear, Hope, Love, Loss, and Vulnerability?
- Given the dimensions for the work, what is your initial concept?
Applications will be submitted to ArtsGreensboro via Submittable. Three artists will be selected to complete a full application.
Artists will be notified by January 21. Full applications will be due on February 15.
The three finalists will virtually meet with the Cone Health-Outpatient Women’s Services Art Selection Committee. This group will vote on the final artist. The finalists will be paid an honorarium ($250) for their time and presentation.
Issue invitations to submit Letter of Interest December 14, 2020
Deadline for submissions January 31, 2021
Panel to select three Finalists to invite to submit a full application
February 5, 2021
Full Application due date February 22, 2021
Artists Interviews/Presentation/Voting March 1, 2021 – March 8, 2021
Artist Selected for Collaboration March 8 – 15, 2021
Design/Community Engagement/Fabrication and Installation March 22, 2021 – August 31, 2021
Public Opening (tentative) September 1, 2021
Cone Health reserves the right to change the project timeline.
Final Artist Selection Criteria:
The artists will be selected based on the following criteria, as evidenced in application materials and conversations with listed references:
- Artistic accomplishment as demonstrated by images of previously completed artwork
- Technical competence and comparable scale of past works
- Experience with planning and collaboration with multiple stakeholders, working on design teams, and projects in urban settings
- Demonstrated ability to create artwork that reflects the distinctive characteristics of place
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget
- Experience collaborating with community members/space users on conceptual design efforts
Submittals & Eligibility:
- North Carolina professional artists and artist teams are invited to apply through the ArtsGreensboro Grant Portal. All materials must be received by January 15, 2021 no later than 5:00 PM (Central Time Zone) be considered.
- All genders are eligible to apply; however, the final applicants must be able to articulate the female perspective.
- Applicants must be age 18 or older and are eligible regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.