Sternberger Artists Center
The Sternberger Artists Center is a thriving creative studio space for a diverse group of talented professional artists and writers in Greensboro.
The current studio tenants include recipients of prestigious fellowships by the National Endowment for the Arts and the North Carolina Arts Council, visual artists working on important commissions, nationally recognized novelists, and faculty members of UNCG and NC A&T.
The Center is also an active member of the Dunleath and East Greensboro neighborhoods, hosting community events, fundraisers for local schools and nonprofits, and musicians for the popular Dunleath Porchfest every June.
ArtsGreensboro owns and operates the Sternberger Artist Center located at 712 Summit Avenue in Greensboro. Built in 1926 by Sigmund Sternberger, the treasurer of Revolution Mill, director of Cone Mills Corporation, and an active community member. The Center was donated in 1971 from the Sigmund Sternberger Foundation.
The two-story Mediterranean style villa was designed by noted architect Harry Barton in the elegant Venetian Renaissance Revival style. To preserve the home’s beauty and its place in history, the Sternberger Artists Center was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Originally, the home housed the United Arts Council of Greater Greensboro (now ArtsGreensboro) and its member organizations. Today, the Center is alive with creativity with 16 “reasonably priced” artist studios and a thriving 90-100% occupancy rate.
The Sternberger Artist Center receives generous support from the Tannenbaum-Sternberger Foundation.
- Krystal Hart – contemporary artist
- Denise Landi – painter
- Henry Sumpter – contemporary batik painter
- Lee Zacharias – author, photographer
- Hollis Gabriel – painter, mobiles, fabric
- Molly Amsler – multi-media, paint, fiber, clay, cuisine
- Tatyana Dyakonov – oil, acrylic, watercolor
- Perry Boswell – mixed media, painting, collage
- Devon McKnight – painter, watercolor on paper focusing on color and form
- Amy Funderburk
- Phyllis Sharpe – Oils, Watermedia
- Vicki Johnson
- Joe Bauer
- Betty Cone
- Anne Daniel
- Mebane Ham
- Krystal Hart
- Denny Kelly (Chair)
- Bob Klepfer
- Nancy Radtke
- Bob Saunders
- Jeanne Tannenbaum
Now Accepting Applications for Available Studio Space
- Upstairs studio located on the front of the building.
- Two rooms that include one large space (approx 225 square feet) with 3 big windows.
- Smaller office/closet space with a window (approx 35 sq feet).
- Total square footage of the Studio is 261 sq ft (approx).
- Hardwood floors and 9 foot ceilings.
- Lease rate is $285 per month.
- Renters Insurance required.
- One year lease.
- $50 security deposit.
- $50 Application fee for credit/background check phase of application process.
In its role as the arts council, ArtsGreensboro is the community’s largest source of dedicated financial support, funding arts and culture through a competitive process. ArtsGreensboro is dedicated to elevating the arts by creating awareness and promoting our city’s vibrancy, amplifying the impact the arts have in building strong and thriving communities for all citizens, and supporting arts organizations, artists, and teachers through grants, shared services, and technical assistance.
As part of its tax-exempt mission in managing the Sternberger Artists Center (SAC), ArtsGreensboro makes available studio space for a diverse group of talented artists and writers in Greensboro. The selection process is described as follows:
- Applications for current vacancies are accepted on an ongoing basis and reviewed when space becomes available.
- Applications are reviewed by the SAC Building Manager. Waiting lists are maintained for two years. Applicants who are still interested in space in the SAC must resubmit an application after two years.
- The SAC Building Manager shall recuse herself/himself from voting or participating in any matter where she/he has a conflict of interest as outlined in the ArtsGreensboro conflict of interest policy.
- In the event an application is rejected by the SAC Building Manager, the applicant may request a review by the Sternberger Commission so long as the request is made in writing and within thirty (30) days of the notice of decision to reject the application. All decisions made by the Sternberger Commission will be final and binding.
- The applicant’s artistic medium should contribute to maintaining a balance of disciplines represented at SAC, from visual art to literature to performing arts.
- The artistic discipline and practice of the applicant is to be compatible with others sharing studio space.
- Applicant artist’s CV or resume and portfolio should demonstrate a commitment to artmaking.
- The applicant is encouraged to support the SAC’s public programs and neighborhood gatherings.
- The applicant demonstrates a commitment to use the studio space regularly. Studios are not to be used for storage only. Storage is only allowed with active use of studios.
- The applicant provides three personal references with contact information with their application.
- If more than one artist qualifies for a space, preference will be given based on Greensboro residence and date of application.
- The artist shall conduct its activities in a manner that is consistent with the tax-exempt mission of ArtsGreensboro.
SUMMARY OF TERMS:
- Studios are to be used for original artmaking only.
- Teaching in the studio requires approval in writing by ArtsGreensboro.
- At the signing of the Lease, the artist will deposit first-month rent and $50 security deposit.
- Studio Artists are responsible for cleaning their studios and reporting needed repairs and maintenance promptly.
- All debris/garbage/recycling, etc., must be taken to the kitchen and properly disposed of by the artist. SAC has no studio collection service.
- The buildings are heated and air-conditioned. Heaters or AC units requiring the use of electricity are not allowed. Artists will need permission from management to add an electrical fan.
- Tenants are responsible for their clean up of Common Areas such as the conference room, solarium, kitchen, bathrooms, foyers, and parking area.
- The basement, attic, and other common areas are not to be used for storage.
- Before signing a lease, SAC will process a background check.
- Lease terms generally run one year.
- All SAC tenants must:
- consistently pay rent charges fully and on time. Rent is due on the first day of the month and late on the month’s 5th day.
- carry Renter’s Insurance on studio contents.
- All SAC tenants are encouraged to:
- participate in two ArtsGreensboro studio events per year.
- actively work towards waste reduction and participate in our landfill diversion programs by composting and recycling materials whenever possible.
- commit to keeping SAC clean, presentable, and quiet enough so as not to disturb other tenants.
- promote SAC and ArtsGreensboro through social media and other business profiles.
- participate in periodic tenant meetings.